Phone 1: (619) 710-2380
Phone 2: (619) 710-2341
Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Attendance Technician: Sylvia Zepeda
- Students are required by state law to attend every class, every day.
- All absences are initially recorded as unresolved until a phone call, blue slip, or a note from the parent/guardian is received by the attendance office.
- An automatic phone message will be made home after each un-cleared absence.
- All absences related to sports, extra-curricular activities and/or testing take 24 hours to clear.
- Any student submitting in a forged or altered note or blue slip will face disciplinary action.
- Students and parents are encouraged to check their attendance and resolve any discrepancies as soon as possible by contacting the Attendance Office at (619) 710-2380 or (619) 710-2341.
All absences must be cleared by parent within 30 school days according to the SUHSD policy (Regulation code 5112.1 C). If absences are not cleared within 30 school days, the student must clear absences through Saturday school.
Excessive Excused Absences:
According to the SUHSD policy (Regulation code 5112.1 D), it has been established that it is reasonable to be absent 1 day a month (equivalent to 5 days per semester or 10 days in a school year). Having more than 10 days of excused absences, will place your child under an “excessive excused absence contract”.
If a student is absent 10 or more days, the following measure will apply:
- Student Program Facilitator Contact
- Excessive Excused Absence Contract
- SOS referral after 6 full days
- Home Visit
- PRE-SARB Contract
- SARB (Student Attendance Review Board)
- A student with 9 full days absent will be subject to a hearing at the district office, which results in a parent and students signing an attendance contract with a truancy probation officer. If SARB contract is violated, student will be referred to the Juvenile Justice System and/or be placed on probation.
- Alternative school placement
The State of California believes that the first priority is that the child attends school on a daily basis. For example, Welfare & AFDC benefits may end or be reduced drastically, if a student misses more than 3 full days of school. Education Code Section 48260-48263 provides definitions and referral procedures for:
- Any student subject to compulsory attendance who is absent without a valid excuse more than three (3) days in one school year is considered a habitual truant.
- Any student defined as habitual truant who continues an unacceptable pattern of unexcused absences or tardiness may be referred to the district’s SARB.
- Any student showing low academic performance may also have their permit revoked.
- Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 601 describes the consequences for habitual truancy if a minor pleads or is found guilty by trial to include but not limited to:
- Being made a ward of the court (placed on probation).
- Having a driver’s license revoked or denied until age eighteen.
- Being placed in juvenile hall for violation of court order.
Off Campus Passes:
- Parent(s)/ Guardians must come in person to the attendance office to sign Off Campus slip and pick up the student. Proper identification is required and the legal name must match the emergency card information. Students should not be waiting in the office for parent to pick up.
- No student will be released to anyone that is NOT listed on the student’s emergency card.
- Students who are 18 years old or older and drive to school, need to provide a note with following information before being released on an off campus:
- Student Name
- Reason for leaving
- Parent Signature
- Phone # to call parent and verify the note is legitimate.
** NOTE – We do not release students when there are only 15mins left in the day **
Emergency Authorization Cards:
Every student must have accurate, updated emergency information on file in the nurse’s office and the Attendance Office. The cards list the physician’s name and other emergency contacts.
Please note: No student will be released to anyone that is NOT listed on the student’s emergency card. Proper identification is required for anyone picking up a student and the legal name must match the emergency card’s information. Students should not be waiting in the office for pick up.
If a student needs to be absent from school for 5-15 days, an Independent Study Contract must be completed:
Parent(s)/guardians must notify the assistant principal to submit an independent study Master Contract Agreement request 72 hours before the absence is scheduled to begin. This request must include the student’s full legal names, the dates the students will be out of school, parent/guardian signature, and the reason for the absence.
- A tardy is defined as the following:
- Any student who arrives late to school 29 minutes or less (Block Schedule) will be marked tardy.
- Any student who arrives late to school 14 minutes or less (All Periods 1-6 Schedule) will be marked tardy.
- Tardies must be cleared that same day by calling (619) 710-2380 or (619) 710-2341 , sending a parent and/or Dr’s note with student to the Attendance Office.
- If you do not clear unexcused tardies with in 24 hrs, they can only be cleared by attending Saturday school or AP Detention Tuesday-Thursday during nutrition break.
District policy 5112 states “classroom participation is an integral part of the learning experiences provided to students in the schools of the district. To the extent the failure to attend a class results in a student attaining a certain prescribed minimum academic standards, this failure would properly be reflected in the grade the student receives”
- Citizenship grades will reflect unexcused tardiness as follows:
- 3 tardies = “C” citizenship grade
- 4 tardies = “D” citizenship grade
- 5 tardies = “F” citizenship grade
- 6 OR MORE= SATURDAY SCHOOL
- If a student has an unexcused tardy he/she must attend detention that week in order to clear the tardy. If the tardy is not cleared the same week, the student must attend Saturday school to clear the tardy.
- Saturday school is offered almost every Saturday of the month from 8:30am – 12:30pm.
- Students may clear 1 (one) full day of absences (equivalent to 6 hours) or 8 tardies.
- Students who are not in class at 8:30am will not be allowed to enter.
- Students must stay the full 4 hrs to receive credit.
- If students do not bring their own work or book to read, they will not be allowed to stay.
- No Bus transportation is provided for Saturday school.